North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

Catching up with Fairchild, Blazers’ new baseball coach

We recently caught up with coach Lance Fairchild, Blazers’ new baseball coach. We learned about his experience and future plans.
New+North+Lake+baseball+coach%2C+Lance+Fairchild+demonstrates+a+proper+batting+stance+during+practice.++
Joanna Mikolajczak
New North Lake baseball coach, Lance Fairchild demonstrates a proper batting stance during practice.

Q: How long have you played sports? 

A: I played football and ran track in middle school. A little basketball as well, but baseball has always been my sport, I started when I was three. It was kind of always the one I was best at and I think that made me like baseball the best and  continue with it.

Q: How long have you been coaching?

A: I’ve been coaching since I graduated in 2015 from college, from UT Permian Basin. 

Q: Where did you play baseball in high school or college?

A: I went to Rowlett High School, and I played there. Then I played at Cedar Valley. I played at UT Permian Basin and then I played four seasons of independent baseball, it’s a professional baseball. It’s pretty much like minor leagues, but the only difference is those teams are not attached to a major league club. 

Q: What position did you play?

A: I was outfield and pitcher in high school and in my freshman year in college. For my sophomore year on, I was a pitcher.

Q: Who was your biggest supporter in your sport domain?

A: Oh, definitely my family. They have definitely always been there supporting me since I was three until now.

They are still supporting me through my baseball journey. So definitely my mom and dad. They’re awesome.

Q: How about your favorite sports stars?

A: I’m a Texas Rangers fan, but one player that really stands out to me is probably Mike Trout from the Angels. He’s just got a good character and does things right. He’s not a flashy guy or anything like that. He just does what you’re supposed to do, and high character and plays the game. 

Q: Who is your favorite baseball team and player?

A: I’m a Texas Rangers fan, but one player that really stands out to me is Mike Trout from the LA Angels. He has a good character and does things right. He’s not a flashy guy or anything like that. He does what you’re supposed to do and plays the game right. He’s respectful outside of the community and all those good things. 

Q: What’s your favorite part about coaching?

A: Obviously, winning games and building relationships with the players is awesome. But my favorite part is when that kid gets a scholarship, or he signs to a school that he really likes and he’s excited to go. I think that’s my favorite part by far, helping them get there.

Q: What inspired you to begin coaching?

A: Probably my freshman year or so in college, I knew I wanted to coach because baseball is my passion. If I didn’t play baseball, I don’t know how far I would of pursued my academics. I see what playing baseball at this level can provide for you. 

I went to Cedar Valley, I was able to play, I was close to home, and (baseball) really kept me in school, kept me inspired. 

I kept going (to school) just because I had opportunities to keep playing baseball. I know it does the same for every player that comes through a program. That’s what inspired me, helping those guys continue school, hopefully be part of a good winning team, have fun, and get a degree and be set up for life.