North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

The Art Institute schools permanently close doors

Dallas College welcomes Art Institute students to register for classes after closure of institution

As of Sept. 30, all of The Art Institute schools have closed nationwide, including the last ones located in Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

Dallas College is working with the institute to assist former students in continuing their education at Dallas College arts and humanities program.

“The School of Creative Arts, Entertainment and Design would be a great alternative for former Art Institute students looking to start a creative career,” Pathway Specialist Marie Ramirez said. These include degrees in digital arts and design, video technology and fashion.

She said they have been collaborating with faculty, chairs and the dean to send information out to former Art Institute students by email and looking over transcripts and degree plans to determine how Ai courses can work with Dallas College’s degrees.

The institute sent an email to former students saying, “We are hopeful that the colleges and universities in each of the Art Institute markets will assist students and allow them to transfer their credits and complete their program of study.”

Dallas College will only accept applicable coursework from the Art Institute. To receive a degree or certificate, 25% of credit hours need to be completed at Dallas College.

The closing of the school came as a shock to its students, despite the institute’s prior closing of 44 schools in 2019 or earlier.

According to a CNBC short documentary titled “Why More and More Colleges Are Closing Down Across America,” schools have been closing or merging with other schools since 2016 and is more common now after the COVID-19 pandemic.

In higher education, public colleges are less likely to close in comparison to private non-profit schools.

In contrast, private for-profit schools are the most in danger of closing. The Art Institute was a private for-profit school.

Seven colleges within Dallas College Community Colleges District merged into one public college, forming Dallas College mid-2020.

Giraud Polite, dean of academic affairs in the Arts & Humanities department, said his program has worked these past few years to rebuild the community lost in part of COVID-19.

“We are now expiring resurgence of students coming back to campus,” Polite said.

He potentially anticipates the fashion design program at El Centro Campus to receive the most enrollment from former institute students.

An increase of enrollment could help campuses offer more courses because the class schedules are developed based on student demand.

“As creatives, we welcome new ideas, thus I believe that the increase in institute students would benefit college and the students alike, offering new perspectives,” he said.