North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

Dallas powwow competition photos

AT&T Discovery District 3rd Annual ICAE Native American Heritage Month Powwow celebration
Theressa Velazquez
Competitors enter the AT&T lawn alongside their tribal members to begin the powpow competition.

Dallas College North Lake Campus took a group of students to the 3rd Annual ICAE Native American Heritage Month Powwow celebration at the AT&T Discovery District in downtown Dallas on Nov. 11.

Various Native American tribes and families with Indigenous roots across the United States traveled to Dallas to celebrate their heritage.

They held a friendly dance competition between tribal members and individuals dressed with their regalia.

A tribe sings and plays the drum as the competitors perform. (Theressa Velazquez)

The regalia worn represent their tribe’s history, culture as well as their unique personalities.

The event was free and opened to the public. Students from various different backgrounds had the opportunity to immerse themselves in the culture and traditions of Indigenous people.

During the powwow  dance contest, numerous tribes danced on the lawn while drummers provided the music.

Many indigenous people brought food to snack on because the event was held from morning to evening.

In addition, people were able to enjoy the various food from restaurants located inside the Exchange Hall — AT&T’s public cafeteria. There were also vendors in attendance selling tribal accessories, handmade jewelry, clothing, shoes and other items.