North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

World cup arrives in 2026

FIFA World Cup is an international soccer competition contested by the men’s nation- al soccer teams of the member nations of Fédération Internationale de Football Association, the sport’s world governing body.

It has taken place every 4 years since the first event in 1930. Last time in 2022, the World Cup was won by Argen- tina, which was held in Qatar.

This time, the World Cup is taking place in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

The Dallas AT&T Stadium is going to host the highest number of games, which is 9 games, including the semi-finals on July 14, 2026.

Dallas college soccer coach Adrian Gonzalez said, “I am very excited for the World Cup as it means a lot for us as the games are also taking place in Dallas Stadium as well.”

Soccer is one of the most watched live games all over the world.

Gonzalez said, “Soccer will impact the country in a good way, especially for the kids and for the people who are into the soccer game.”

There will be a lot of people traveling from other countries to Dallas who love the game. Gonzalez said the World Cup will encourage people who are not passionate about soccer to learn about the sport.

He said he will love to go to the games as it’s just at the Dallas stadium, and he does not want to miss this opportunity.

This is the second time that the United States is hosting the FIFA World Cup. Last time was in 1994, but this will be the City of Dallas’s first time hosting the grand event.

“The World Cup has inspired my teammates to think big,” Melissa Morales, a soccer player from North Lake Dallas College, said. “We are constant- ly entertained by any game, any good rivalry like the recent game Mexico vs. USA.”

She said: “As far as aspirations go, the World Cup is something that brings everyone together and makes us dream that anything is possible.” Mo- rales will be supporting Mexico and the U.S. being a Mexican American. She will look forward to both of these teams playing.

Shreenibash Shrestha, an international student in Dallas College, said, “I am excited to see the World Cup in the USA.” Shrestha said: “I am a great fan of soccer, which is known as football in my country. I find myself to be privileged that the games are taking place in the US when I am also here; further, I will be supporting Argentina as I am a great fan of Messi”.

The first game will be held in Mexico on June 11, 2026, at the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City. The finals are scheduled for July 19, 2026 in New York, New Jersey. It is a huge thing for the country as it has its own theme song and a great crowd in this world follows soccer.

Other host cities include Atlanta, Boston, Guadalajara, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, Monterrey, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Francis- co, Seattle, Toronto, and Vancouver.

This biggest-ever edition of global showpiece will have 104 games featuring 48 teams played across the 16 host cities in three countries.

78 matches are being hosted by the United States, including quarter-finals, semi-finals, and the finals. Canada and Mexico will be hosting 13 games each.