North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

Pride club welcomes all

Courtesy Steven Benzene

North Lake’s Pride Club is a safe place for students who do not have a place they feel accepted. 

LGBTQ+ students that are starting college, on their own or facing a huge transition can seek out this club for support. 

Thanks to the efforts of student life coordinator, Steven Benezue, the Pride Club was created 12 years ago.

There has never been an agenda for the meetings. Benezue’s intention behind the club is to let the students run the meeting but by addressing topics that should be mentioned.  

“Though I do let the students start the conversation, if there were a topic that I would love to address, such as current news, I like to turn the discussion to the issue,” Benezue said.

The club is a safe place where people can come and be themselves. “We’re open to anything and anyone and are very organic in our meetings,” Benezue said. “We just ask for everyone to be respectful and accepting of each other. There’s no agenda that you need to be concerned about.”

The Pride Club welcomes all with open arms. According to Benezue, you can talk about any issues you’ve been through or just talk about the Barbie movie, all conversations are welcome.

There are no promises that your hot takes on pop culture will be supported, but it can be open for discussion. The door is always open to new members. 

The club meets every Tuesday from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in room H226 or just follow the rainbow arrow.

If you or someone you know is struggling and needs someone to talk to call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or text 988 to talk to a LGBTQ+ affirming counselor right away.