North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

Ardy’s Grill strives to succeed

New restaurant by alumnus offers Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine in Addison.
Theressa Velazquez
Ardy Badakhshanian at his restaurant, decorated with his collection of old school cameras.

Dallas College alumnus, Ardy Badakhshanian, reopened his restaurant, Ardy’s Grill, in Addison on November 2023 after struggling to survive during the pandemic.

Badakhshanian is passionate about food and photography, making the presentation of each dish a top priority. Every plate is designed to be visually captivating, drawing customers not only with smell but with sight as well.

In his early 30s, he decided to move to America from Iran in 2011. Having to learn another language was hard because he was unfamiliar with it. But with determination and hard work, he learned the skills in English at Dallas College.

Before coming to the U.S., he was a restaurant owner. However, he decided to study journalism at Brookhaven Cam- pus and video technology at North Lake Campus.

After graduating with an as- sociates, Badakhshanian tried to make a living as a photographer. He even got an internship with D Magazine and had a chance to create videos for them.

“My passion is photography and food,” he said. “[But] with photography, it was hard to sup- port my family.”

One time he ate at a restau- rant in downtown Dallas and thought the food was terrible. He felt he could make better food in that area. With ambition and creativity, Badakhshanian set out to make his mark in the compet- itive restaurant industry in 2020 opening Ardy’s Grill in down- town Dallas.

The Turkish Sand Coffee served at Ardy’s Grill is boiled using a pan filled with sand that’s heated at over 200 degrees. Photo by Theressa Velazquez

Badakhshanian’s restaurant was a mix of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. It was so busy. It turned out to be a great success, but then after three months the world changed.

The COVID-19 pandemic struck down businesses whether large or small. Downtown fell silent, and his dreams seemed to be extinguished. Yet, Badakhshanian refused to give up.

As the pandemic took hold, Ardy’s Grill faced unprecedented challenges. Sales dropped, and Badakhshanian had to make tough decisions to keep his business going.

He treated his workers like family, but because of the money shortage, he had to lay them off.

Only Badakhshanian and the manager were left to run Ardy’s Grill. “When I start something, I don’t give up,” he said. He believes persistence will pay off.

Throughout the darkest days of the pandemic Badakhshanian accepted the challenges. He offered takeout and delivery options to ensure that his customers could still enjoy his culinary creations from the safety of their homes.

“I love cooking,” he said. “If I’m working here 24 hours, I won’t get tired.”

One of Ardy’s Grill’s top selling entrees, the Chicken Kabob Tower. Photo by Theressa Velazquez

With every dish he prepared, his restaurant had a sense of warmth and great hospitality. The neighborhood had seen the effort he made, so they supported him through the pandemic by order- ing food from their restaurant.

Each visit to Ardy’s Grill was proof of Badakhshanian’s good customer service. Af- ter the pandemic passed his loyal customer’s gratitude and encouragement kept him go- ing, even when the dark times seemed endless.

With the gradual easing of restrictions, the familiar sights and sounds of bustling activity returned to the streets of Dallas.

Due to the rental problem, Ardy’s Grill had to move to a new location. The new loca- tion was in Addison Circle.

Badakhshanian said he re- calls walking by the Addison location long before moving there. “I said, ‘I wish I could make a restaurant here.’ That was 12 years ago — 12 years later I have a restaurant exactly in that location,” he said with a smile.

He had a vision to open the store at a corner of the street. It was right at the same place, a dream come true moment.

Today, as customers enter Ardy’s Grill, they are greeted with more than just delicious food — they are welcomed into a community dedicated to service. His restaurant is not just a place to eat, but also a symbol of hope, perseverance and determination.

Front restaurant view of Ardy’s Grill.