North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

Students dress for success.

Vidhi Bhakta
The Clothing Closet is located in A223 near the gallery entrance and is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday -Thursday.

The Clothing Closet is a great place for students to fulfill their basic needs. They can dress up for everyday use or professionally for job interviews. And it’s all for free.

The newly renovated closet boasts updated lighting and flooring.

Dr. Christa Slejko, President of NLC, is preparing to officially announce the grand re-opening of The Closet.

In partnership with Career and Transfer Services, The Closet is currently collecting professional attire for an upcoming event that will help students dress for success that is held every year.

“Our goal is to help students resolve any issues, any barriers that keep them from focusing on their studies to complete the journey because they came to school with a goal in mind,” student care coordinator Kim McNeal said.

In Aug. 2023, McNeal became student care coordinator for the closet at Dallas College North Lake Campus.

McNeal said she fondly recalls a moment in her life when the weather was cold, and a student using Dart transportation arrived at the closet.

Seeing the student in need, they were able to offer a warm coat, providing a valuable opportunity for her to assist someone in need and make a positive impact.

It first started as a little closet for students having emergencies to go for job interviews and career clothes to engage students. It changed now to come in and shop. The basic care needs department made a policy to get 5 items every month.

Anyone can donate. People donate items like clothes, ornaments, footwear, hats, baby clothes and even socks. Everyone that a person needs to groom up.

“Barriers come up and we want to be able to meet those barriers, alleviate them quickly, and with school resources so the student can feel successful and in a one-step shape,” McNeal said.

The closet operates from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, with the exception of Tuesday when access is available through the food pantry.

Community day is on Fridays, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., welcoming all indivi

duals to also access the closet.

McNeal asks people to donate more from November to December before Thanksgiving and Christmas break so everyone can enjoy equally.

McNeal welcomes students who are required to complete several service-learning hours, such as nursing students, to volunteer at the closet to fulfill this obligation and enhance their resumes.