North Lake student news since 1977

News-Register

News-Register

News-Register

SGA kicks off first senate meeting

North Lake Campus Student Government Association hosted its first senate meeting. Senate meetings are held to discuss current issues at NLC or to make announcements. This first meeting was also an opportunity to announce the new officers and representatives of active clubs on campus.

SGA at all seven campuses experienced a few changes this year by adding new positions, senate chair, senators and senate meetings. With the move to one college, the campuses are now governed by one constitution. NLC’s newly elected officers have officially been added to the organization.

New Business

The new senate chair, Faith Lungu, ran the senate meeting. Lungu introduced all the officers and the representatives from clubs and societies, such as Phi Theta Kappa, International Club, Pride Club, Mu Alpha and Pys Beta.

“Senate meetings are a great way for clubs to be able to network among themselves and share opportunities and events their groups are having,” Mara Dillman, North Lake’s SGA advisor, said.

In addition to welcoming new officers, the meeting focused on issues such the need for more student involvement and for new advisors for various organizations.

Newly inducted officers discussed the issues in order to tackle these problems at their next executive board meetings.

Issues Discussed

Generally, the issues centered on student engagement. All clubs are looking for ways to increase general student engagement as well as participation in activities and meetings provided by clubs.

Additionally, Psychology Honor Society, Psi Beta, lost their previous advisor. They are currently looking for a new advisor.

PTK is looking for more volunteers to join the Irving Cares event on Oct. 20.

Solutions

One of the solutions to aid the problems was to advertise meetings for student organizations on the SGA GroupMe and Instagram.

To get involved and join clubs, visit Dallas College’s website and look for North Lake’s student organizations.

Senate meetings happen every second Wednesday of the month, and General Assembly meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month in room C244 at 2 p.m.

Congratuations to newly inducted North Lake SGA Officers

President – Jesus Torres

Vice President – Fnu Abdul Muhaimin

Senate Chair – Faith Lungu

Parliamentarian – Habiba Kouadio

Treasurer – Bertin Bihizi

Historian – Funminiyi “Niyi” Oluwaniyi

Senator At-Large of Academic Affairs – Mame Sanou Sy

Senator At-Large of Student Success – Denyse Silva

Senator At-Large of Workforce and Advancement – Yasmeen Bashadi

Senator At-Large of Community – Cristian Henriquez Cornejo